Margarita Haugaard has practiced in a broad spectrum of civil and commercial litigation. She has experience representing local and federal public entities.
Appellate decisions include Kelomar, Inc. v Kulow, 413 Fed. Appx. 981 (9th Cir. 2011), Dan Clark Family Ltd. Partnership v. Miramontes, 193 Cal. App. 4th 219 (4th Dist. 2011), and Estate of Schmitt, 2012 WL 4498447 (4th Dist. 2012).
Margarita Haugaard’s practice has also focused on international legal proceedings, primarily cross-border commercial litigation and cross-border alternative dispute resolution.
Ms. Haugaard is fully bilingual in Spanish and English.
Ms. Haugaard has been admitted to practice in California state courts, U.S. District Courts in California, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the District of Columbia. She is a member of the California State Bar and the District of Columbia Bar.
- HORTON, KNOX, CARTER & FOOTE, LLP, San Diego and El Centro, Summer 1999 – present
Civil and commercial litigation, international law, representing public entities
- MCINNIS, FITZGERALD, REES & SHARKEY, San Diego, Fall 1997 – Spring 1999
Civil and commercial litigation, public-entity defense
- PRIVATE PRACTICE, San Diego, Fall 1997 – Summer 1999
Commercial litigation and international law
- LAW OFFICES OF J. ERNESTO GRIJALVA, San Diego, Fall 1991 – Fall 1997
Civil and commercial litigation, international law, real-property & banking litigation, representing RESOLUTION TRUST CORPORATION
Memberships & Affiliations
- MEXICAN-BAR-LIAISON COMMITTEE OF SAN DIEGO COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION. Co-chair, 1997-2014
- NATIONAL CONFLICT RESOLUTION CENTER. Member, Board of Directors, 2004 – 2009
- CETYS University Tijuana and CETYS University Ensenada. Adjunct Professor, Derecho Corporativo Internacional, 1997; Master’s course in International Business Law; three courses taught in Spanish
- FLYING SAMARITANS. Interpreter and translator, 1996 – 2002